Dr. Raghavendra Babu is the Senior Consultant & Head of Hepato-biliary, Pancreatic surgery and Liver Transplant at the prestigious HCG Hospital in Bangalore. He leads the highest volume Liver and Pancreas surgery unit in Karnataka.
After completing his MBBS from Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute, he went on to obtain his master's in General Surgery (MS) from Delhi. He worked as a senior resident in General Surgery at Bangalore before doing his Super-specialization in Gastro-intestinal surgery (MCh) from prestigious Amrita University at Kochi.
He then worked as a Speciality Registrar in Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic and Transplant Surgery unit at Edinburgh, United Kingdom and went on to get Certificate of Completion of Training in Transplant surgery from Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh. He also did his Fellowship in HPB surgery and Liver Transplant at Mie University Hospital, Japan. He is also an Intuitive certified in Robotic Surgery and has extensive experience in the field of minimally invasive and Robotic surgery.
Education & Training
MBBS– From Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore
MS (General Surgery) - From Delhi University (New Delhi)
Senior Residency (General Surgery) - Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore
MCh (Surgical Gastroenterology) - Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi
Fellowship in HPB Surgery & Liver Transplant - Mie University Hospital, Japan
Fellowship in HPB surgery and Transplantation from Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, UK (CCT from Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh)
1. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy as day care surgery. ANZ Journal of Surgery,2009:79(5),410-11.
2. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis masquerading as malignancy with liver metastasis. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 2009:79, 946-47
3. Laparoscopy for liver hydatid disease: where do we stand today? Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2009 Dec;19(6):419-23
4. Laparoscopic treatment of gastric bezoar. JSLS, 2010; 14, 263-67
5. Pneumothorax during laparoscopic repair of giant paraesophageal hernia. J Anaesthesiology Clin Pharmacology. 2011; 27(3): 373-376
6. Effect of Neoadjuvant chemotherapy on stromal CD10 antigens in breast cancer – a preliminary study. Indian J Cancer. 2013; 50(1): 46-51
7. A New Score to Predict Recipient Mortality from Preoperative Donor and Recipient Characteristics in Living Donor Liver Transplantation (DORMAT Score). Ann Transplant 2017; 22:499-506
Quiz prize at 8th IHPBA certificate course at AIIMS, New Delhi
- 2014 -
Best poster award in IHPBA for “Usefulness of Hepatobiliary Scintigraphy in detecting bile leaks in living donor liver transplant recipients”